Monday, July 29, 2013

Hands down, Choteau is my type of town


This summer's trip to Montana yielded an unexpected bonanza. I came back with 56 pounds of lead type representing four typefaces (Lightline Gothic and Umbra among them). As exhilarating as it is to have some type of my own, I remain haunted by the 950 pounds I had to leave there, all stored in two handsome, heavy double-cabinets.

I hope it doesn't go to bullets or ballast, how a lot of unloved lead ends up, because this seems no ordinary type. For instance, given its long service at the venerable local weekly the Choteau Acantha (est. 1894), it perhaps was touched by novelist A.B. Guthrie, Jr. (The Big Sky, The Way West) and his dad, a prominent educator and newspaperman. Whoever set these letters, it's clear they have told many stories, and now can tell a few more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home